Issue 20 of Marketing for early-stage startups
Knowing what to do is 10% of the work. The remaining 90% is actually doing it. In a growing, understaffed startup, there are always fires to put out. Unless you can stay focused, you will never get the big, important things done. Here's how you can get it done:
Create a roadmap similar to what you’ll have for product development and work in sprints (typically two weeks). It will be easier to communicate to the rest of the organization what you’re working on, and it will help you stay focused.
Before each sprint, look at all the initiatives you have in front of you, prioritize based on expected outcome vs resources needed (time and money). Make a rough estimate of how much time each item will take. In the beginning of the sprint, sit down with the team and break down initiatives into smaller tasks. This will let you estimate the required time more accurately.
Use a project management tool like Trello or Asana (or a whiteboard and Post-its) to keep track of your tasks and progress.
Make your roadmap available to the rest of the organization. Allow them to have input on what the marketing team is working on. The best ideas could come from anywhere, and your work is dependent on others and vice versa. Internal communication and transparency will make everyone’s work much easier. Embrace feedback, it will make you better.
Tired of waiting for the next lesson?
Read next lesson straight away by upgrading to premium today.Upgrade to premium Sign in
Marketing for early-stage startups
What should a marketer do at a startup and why do we need a marketing team? Some people are confused by marketing and believe that marketing equals advertising. It does not. Marketing is the link between a firm and its customers. To serve as a marketer in a new company with big ambitions to grow (aka a startup) can be challenging. It’s often different from a marketing or communications job in a bigger organization. It falls on you to define the market, validate your product/service and identify how to get and keep customers in the most cost-efficient way.
This email course covers five areas of startup marketing:
Positioning and branding
Management and operations
You’ll be getting one email per day for 21 days, each one focused on one part of the smorgasbord of tasks and challenges for a startup marketer.
I’ve written this course for the startup marketers I’ve mentored and bounced ideas off of over the past years, for founders who’ve reached out for help and for future startup marketers. It contains a lot of those things I wish I had known when I entered this world several years ago. I hope you learn something new and I welcome all feedback.