Issue 3 of The Perfect Conversation
What is the best conversation opener you have ever heard?
What is your go-to conversation starter?
The hardest part of a conversation is the opener. We tend to agonize over who and how to approach someone for a conversation. But don’t worry! A few conversation starters are the easiest way to get the chit chat ball rolling.
First, research has found that the most effective conversation starter is a simple, “Hello, how are you?” It’s super easy, but it works!
These openers work great for beginning a conversation. They’re far more interesting than the standard “Where are you from?” type questions, and they are excellent conversation builders.
1. Tell me about you.
2. What’s your story?
3. What personal passion project are you working on right now?
4. Working on anything exciting lately?
5. How do you know the host?
6. Have you been to an event like this before?
7. What was the highlight of your day today?
8. What was the highlight of your week?
9. What was the high-point and low-point of your day so far?
10. Is this your busy season? Is this a busy time for you?
Try not to force people to assign labels to themselves. That’s why a good starter is “What personal passion project are you working on right now?” rather than “What do you do?” The first question will get people talking about what they’re passionate about. The second question will just have them answer: “I’m an accountant” and leave it at that.
Pick three conversation starters from the list above. Memorize them.
Tip: if you want to remember them faster next time you need them, try answering these questions yourself. For example, answer this: Have you been working on anything exciting lately? Once you can think of an answer, you’ll think of asking the question next time you’re in a conversation.